Monday, February 20, 2006

Minutes of the Feb 15th 2006 BIRA board meeting

MINUTES of
BELLE ISLE RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION (BIRA)
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
February 15, 2006
Community Room at 3 Island Avenue

Board Members Present


Josh Fisher
Barbara Frank
Herb Frank
Barbara Gillman
Keith Hark
Nancy Liebman
Sandra Money
Irene Sperber

Other Attendees
Elizabeth Fisher

Approval of Minutes of December 14, 2005 Board Meeting
Herb Frank called the meeting to order at 6:05 p.m. Sandy Money made a motion to approve the Minutes of the December 14, 2005 Board meeting. Barbara Frank seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

Election of BIRA Officers
Herb presented the following to serve as officers of the Association, serving one year terms ending January, 2007:
President – Herb Frank
Vice President – Josh Fisher
Secretary – Sandy Money
Treasurer – Keith Hark

Nancy Liebman made a motion to approve the officers. Sandy Money seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

After discussion of adding additional members to the Board of Directors, Nancy agreed to call Michael Larkin and Gail Thompson and Josh agreed to contact Renee Savery to invite all three to attend the next Board Meeting.

Updates
Light & Crosswalk at 17th & Purdy
Herb reported that all of the work has been approved and the contractor selected. It should take 45 days from the day they start work, which is scheduled to begin this month. Keith described the reckless driving of the two towing companies at this intersection. He agreed to draft a letter to the City Manager about this problem.

Park Renovation Timing
Herb reported that work has begun. Nancy noted that the litter created in the construction of the water pumping station has not been removed. She agreed to draft a letter on the matter for Herb’s signature.

Causeway Bridges
Nancy and Sandy described a meeting held on February 14 with Commissioner Sally Heyman, Barbara Bisno and representatives of community organizations on the Causeway. Discussion covered renovation of the bridges for which the funding is now in place, the Streetscape improvements to take place in 2008 and 2009, raising the height of the bridges and under grounding the electrical wires. A meeting is scheduled tomorrow with the Coast Guard, City of Miami and Miami Beach to develop emergency plans for the Causeway in the event both drawbridges are inoperative simultaneously..

Irene provided the schedule of load tests and locations to be tested between March 6 and 10, 2006. Barbara Gillman agreed to draft a letter asking that an additional person be added to the toll booths during the morning and evening rush hours, for the signature of all of the Associations which attended the meeting described above.

Website Activities
Josh reported that he planned to add the names of the newly elected Board Members and the officers to the web site now that the latter have been approved.

New Business
One Way Traffic on Island Avenue
Herb reported that George Chartrand has informed him that Island Avenue NORTH of the Causeway will be made one way and run from the Spa going east. After discussion of the possibility of making Island Avenue SOUTH of the Causeway one way, Nancy made a motion that BIRA defer taking a position until the park renovation project is finished and that BIRA recommend to the City Manager that they investigate other safety considerations such as speed bumps. Barbara Frank seconded. The vote was 6 in favor, 2 opposed, so the motion passed. Josh agreed to draft the letter to the City Manager about speed bumps.

Review of Belle Isle Residents Meeting January 18, 2006
After discussion it was agreed that no action items resulted from that meeting.

Cleaning of Park, etc.
It was agreed that this item was covered earlier in the meeting.

Other Business
Nancy reported having a meeting with Andre Balazs at which he asked to make a presentation to the BIRA Board of Directors about his desire to change the hours the inside bar can serve liquor from midnight to 2 a.m. It was noted that, should the Board agree to support his efforts, it should be based on his offering assurances of no loud music outside the building at any time, as well as a review of the effects of such a change in one year. It was agreed that Nancy will provide him with dates that such a meeting could take place before May 1.

Other items discussed included:
Noise from Flamingo pool parties should be reported to the Code Enforcement telephone number on the Residents’ Meeting Agenda;
Chloridation of local water is scheduled between February 23 and 26; and
The new parking lot behind SunTrust is seeking a height variance that will make it unsightly in that area.

Set Time and Day for the Next BIRA Board Meeting
It was agreed that there are no matters pressing at the moment, so the next Board Meeting should take place at the date selected by Andre. He will be offered the alternatives of March 29, April 19 or April 20th. If that does not work for him, there is the possibility of May 2, 3 or 4, although some Board members may already have left for the summer.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.

Prepared by:

Sandra K. Money, Secretary